Route 20 CORRIDOR PLANNING STUDY OVERVIEW:
- The grant is awarded by and administered by the Capitol Region Council of Governments via the CT Department of Transportation Planning Study solicitation from 2017.
- Windsor Locks applied, the award was granted, but the DOT delayed the program for some time and there was uncertainty about its continuance. The Building and Land Use department requested funding from the Town for some of this work since then, but it was suggested that we seek grant funding and request the match if the program picked up again or another source of funding was found. It was resurrected years later, and the town reapplied in 2021. CRCOG agreed to continue with the study and so now we are seeking the match.
- The study will explore and make recommendations related to:
- Bradley International Airport’s Master Plan goals and objectives
- vehicular and pedestrian safety improvements along Route 20 and where it intersects with Route 75 and Old County Road
- future land use and development patterns and scenarios
- wayfinding (branding/signage) and placemaking improvements
- concept for a multi-use bike/pedestrian trail along Route 20 including constructability, right of way and environmental constraints
- The study will provide public involvement components related to the above.
- A steering committee of volunteers was created when the program first kicked off. Thankfully most participants including residents, local businesspeople and employees, staff from the CT Airport Authority are still able to join this year. We anticipate meeting six times within a 18 month period.