Trade Names

Connecticut State Law requires that anyone conducting business under an assumed name (DBA) must file a Trade Name Certificate in the Town Clerk's Office in the town where the business is being conducted. All people who are authorized to sign on behalf of the business must sign their name on the Trade Name Certificate.

A Trade Name Certificate may be obtained from the Town Clerk's office. Once it is completed with the business name and address, and the owner's name and address, it must be notarized by a Notary or Town Clerk. It is then filed in the Town Clerk's office along with a $10 recording fee.


The trade name filing requirement does not apply to: