Connecticut State Law requires that anyone conducting business under an assumed name (DBA) must file a Trade Name Certificate in the town clerk’s office in the town where the business is being conducted.
All people who are authorized to sign on behalf of the business must sign their name on the Trade Name Certificate.
A Trade Name Certificate may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office. Once it is completed with the business name and address, and the owner’s name and address, it must be notarized by a Notary or Town Clerk. It is then filled in the Town Clerk’s office with a $10.00 recording fee.
Trade name filing requirement does not apply to:
- Partnerships, if the partnership name contains the true last name of at least one of the persons comprising said partnership;
- Limited partnerships which have registered with the Secretary of State;
- Limited liability companies (LLC's) need to be filed with the Secretary of State's Office by CLICKING HERE.
- For more information, please CLICK HERE.
To register a trade name by mail:
- Print and complete the trade name certificate and have the document notarized.
- Include a self-addressed return envelope with postage so we can return a copy to you. You MUST also include the $2.00 fee ($12.00 total), so we can mail you a certified copy.
- Mail the certificate including a check payable to the town of Windsor Locks to:
Office of the Town Clerk
50 Church Street
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
For additional information please refer to Connecticut General~Statutes Sec.~35-1.
If you require any additional information or would like more information about starting a business in Connecticut, please contact the CONNECTICUT LICENSING INFO CENTER at 1-800-392-2122.