The goal of the Economic & Industrial Development Commission is to increase growth in our Grand List by pursuing the following objectives:
• Identifying in-fill and redevelopment opportunities;
• Attracting new businesses to Windsor Locks;
• Facilitating the growth of our existing businesses;
• Developing new areas of opportunity through the leveraging of State, Federal, local and private resources; and
• Providing recommendations to the Selectmen regarding business-related issues.
The EIDC meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at Town Hall.
David G. Montemerlo, Jr.
Fundamentals of Municipal Economic Development: A Transformational Approach
On May 23, 2019, the Windsor Locks EIDC hosted a Connecticut Economic Resource Center workshop. Slides from the presentation can be downloaded here.
Sustainable CT, Sustainable Windsor Locks
In 2019, Windsor Locks became a Sustainable CT community. Sustainable CT communities strive to be thriving, resilient, collaborative, and forward-looking. They build community and local economy. They equitably promote the health and well-being of current and future residents, and they respect the finite capacity of the natural environment.
Sustainable CT is a voluntary certification program to recognize thriving and resilient Connecticut municipalities. An independently funded, grassroots, municipal effort, Sustainable CT provides a wide-ranging menu of best practices. Municipalities choose Sustainable CT actions, implement them, and earn points toward certification.
The Town must complete one action in categories 1-9 in each certification period. The process by which the actions are completed is just as important as the completion of the action itself.
The categories are as follows:
- Thriving Local Economies
- Well-Stewarded Land and Natural Resources
- Vibrant and Creative Cultural Ecosystems
- Dynamic and Resilient Planning
- Clean and Diverse Transportation Systems and Choices
- Efficient Physical Infrastructure and Operations
- Strategic and Inclusive Public Services
- Healthy, Efficient and Diverse Housing
- Inclusive and Equitable Community Impacts
- Innovation Action
How can we be equitable in our everyday efforts and our Sustainable CT actions?
- Know who lives in our Community. CT Data Collaborative Town Profile
- Connect with all Community Members.
- Create Opportunities for Dialogue.
- Collaborate and Co-create.
- Refine, Revisit, Improve.
Windsor Locks will continue to refine, revisit, and continuously improve in the way we connect and communicate as we co-create an inclusive and sustainable community for current and future residents. Would you like to be involved in future Sustainable CT efforts, workshops or adhoc committees? Contact: Planning and Development, [email protected] or call the Building and Land Use Office at (860) 627-1447.