Learn what you can do to keep your home or apartment and avoid eviction or foreclosure
CRT helps individuals and families who think they may be losing their homes. Tenants learn about their rights in the eviction process. Landlords learn about their responsibilities in housing matters. Homeowners learn how to rework mortgage payments. Workshops are available to help people manage their money and understand landlord-tenant rights.Residents from Hartford or Middlesex counties can get help to avoid eviction or foreclosure. CRT offers three services to help people keep their homes or apartments.
- Housing Mediation – A neutral person negotiates an agreement that is fair to both the tenant and landlord (if renting) or homeowner and lender
- Cash payments – Cash may be available only for back rent and mortgage payments. The decision to make a payment is based on:
- Household income
- Cost of housing
- Ability to make future payments on time
- Mortgage Modification – The payment schedule is changed so homeowner can make regular payments
Contact one of the following offices for an intake screening.
- Hartford County, 395 Wethersfield Avenue, (860) 560-5881
- If eligible, a meeting will be set up to continue the application process.
Bring the following paper work to the meeting:
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Birth certificates for all household members
- Proof of income
- Proof of address
- Proof of eviction or foreclosure
- Proof of amount owed
- Proof of hardship
For more information